Sunday, June 3, 2012

Crêpe with Spring Vegetables




Crêpes are just one of those things: they're super tasty, easy and versatile. So why is it that I hardly ever make them? I mean I go through this every time that I make them, I find myself thinking- "hummm what should I make". Then suddenly and of great surprise to myself I think how about a crêpe. 

This morning I was driving home from church thinking, "hum what should I make of lunch". I wanted spring veggies, and asparagus in particular. Its also a Sunday though so it needed to be easy. Suddenly, I realized I should put my spring veggies in a crêpe and that is exactly what I did!
Start by making your crêpe batter- because you're going to want to let it sit in the fridge for about half an hour before you use it. I used the Joy of Cooking's recipe and substituted all purpose flour for whole wheat. Here it is:



Makes about 12 crêpes
1 c       flour
1 c       milk
1/2 c    lukewarm water
4 lg      eggs
1/4 c    butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt


Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 2 days.  


-Rombauer, Irma et al. "Savory or Sweet Crêpes"The Joy of Cooking, 75th Anniversary ed. New York: Scribner, 2006. 649. 




For the Filling
for one crêpe


1/4 c sliced mushrooms (I bought pre sliced because I was feeling lazy)
3 green onions
1 clove garlic
5 spears asparagus
slice of swiss cheese
salt and pepper


Heat a little oil or cooking spray in a pan, toss in sliced mushrooms. As they become a little golden, throw in the onions, garlic and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the asparagus is tender. Set aside.




In a large pan cook the crêpes. For instructions on cooking crêpes, see my previous post on Celery Root Galette, or watch this little video of Julia Child. Just remember not to be discouraged- your first crêpe or so of each batch will most likely not turn out as you like it. I like to think of this as simply part of to order of the universe- God has gifted the crêpe cook with the perfect snack as they make the rest!


Once your crêpe is made, but while still in the pan, spoon in your filling, fold and gently transfer to your plate. Top with crème fraîche or greek yogurt. Serve alongside salad for a tasty lunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment