Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pork with Rhubarb and Red Onions


I think rhubarb is one of the greatest things ever. Growing up I always loved spring and the rhubarb sauce mom would make for dinner. It was like stringy pink heaven in a dish! This spring I was determined to try rhubarb in a new way, in a savory dish. We all love rhubarb pies and crisps, but why not as part of the main dish?

Thus I have been on a quest. While I have found many different recipes for rhubarb as part of a main dish, they all seemed pretty blah. The sauce was overly sweet and one dimensional. This could be done better. So I thought and thought about it and decided to give it a go myself. You know, I think it turned out really well. The sauce wasn't overly sweet- or overly tart. Then I added in some rosemary and peppercorns. The peppercorns I think really helped it out a lot. Per Scott's suggestions, I served it with pork.

 Serves 2
2  red onions
2  pork chops
5  stalks rhubarb, cut in 1 in long sections
2  sprigs rosemary
1c white wine
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 c dark brown sugar, divided
salt and pepper

Heat a little oil or cooking spray in a pan over medium heat. Coarsely chop the onions and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5-10 min.


Once the onions are softened, add 1/4 cup brown sugar. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, about another 10 min. 

Add the rest of the brown sugar and white wine. Stir to dissolve, about 30 sec. Add rhubarb and peppercorns.


Continue to cook over medium heat until the rhubarb is tended and the liquid has reduced to about 1/4 cup.


Pork Chops:
The real star of this dish is meant to be the rhubarb onion sauce so the pork chops are cooked very simply.

While the sauce is cooking, heat a little oil or cooking spray in a skillet over medium high heat. Season your pork chops with salt and pepper. Brown in the skillet, about 2 min on each side. If the chops are thick, which these were, you may want to finish them in an oven. 



To serve, remove the rosemary stems from the sauce and spoon over the pork chops. 



No comments:

Post a Comment