Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Mom's Coq Au Vin


I found a proper french recipe for Coq au Vin once a few years ago and decided to give it a try. In the end though it took a great deal more work than my mom's and wasn't nearly as good. You see, my mom has an amazing coq au vin recipe- its super easy (so she made it a lot) and the meat just falls off the bones.


Its also really easy to personalize the recipe, making it whatever you want it to be. For a family of four, she always just used a whole chicken, cut into pieces. I usually just do chicken thighs, or boneless chicken breasts. I've also made this in a crock pot and it worked really well. Here, I decided to add onions, carrots, and mushrooms- transforming it into a one pot dinner.


Le Coq au Vin

Serves 4

1              whole chicken
1/2 c         soy sauce
1 1/2 c      dry red wine
1/4 c         water
1/3 c         oil
1 Tbsp      oregano
2               garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbsp      brown sugar

Pre heat oven to 375*F

Combine all ingredients (as well as any other vegetables: mushrooms, onions, carrots) into a heavy, oven-proof pot.

Bake for 1 hour.

Serve with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment