Monday, February 20, 2012

Mustard Crusted Salmon


The past couple of weeks, Scott and I have been the recipients of some wonderful hospitality, which included some great meals. The upside to all of this is that I have recently enjoyed some lovely meals. The downside is two fold: I have missed cooking and I have gained weight. As I make my return home, as well as my return to blogging I have decided to begin with one of my favorite recipes:


There is a great little french bistro in St. Louis where I went to a bridal shower a few years ago and they served a mustard crusted salmon. I’m not quiet sure what happened that day but it seemed to me that there was more mustard than salmon being served. As I scraped the mustard off my salmon, I thought to myself “...hummm...this has possibilities” I have subsequently made this salmon from time to time, with a good deal less mustard than I was presented with that day. You can however feel free to double, triple or even quadruple the amount of mustard if it suites your tastes. 

I love this salmon for many reasons. Firstly, I love fish. I love fished cooked any number of ways because its versatile, healthy and delicious. I have read that some experts recommend we eat fish at least 3 times a week, a goal for which I do aim. Fish is a great lean protein full of all sorts of Omega-3 fatty acids. These are of course, healthy fats and oils which help raise your HDL Cholesterol, which is often referred to as your “good cholesterol”. Of all the different kinds of fish, salmon is one of the healthiest, so I try to eat it once a week.

Salmon is mild and pretty with its great pink-orange color and it’s a great fish for people who perhaps don’t much care for fish. This recipe is particularly great for people who do not like fish, because its covered in mustard. As I’ve already said, I like to go light on the mustard for fear that it can easily overpower the taste of the fish. Mustard has a potent flavor, but is low calorie and fat free so you don’t have to feel guilty eating like you would with ketchup. 


Feel free to tweak this sauce to to suit yourself. Use the mustards you like and have on hand. Add other flavors like honey or horseradish to suite yourself. 

Serves 2

Ingrediants
2         4oz salmon fillets
2         cloves garlic
2 tsp   stone ground mustard
1 tsp   dijon mustard
1 tsp   prepared mustard
1 tsp   mustard seeds
1 tsp   ground mustard powder
1 tsp   herbs de provance
salt and pepper
olive oil cooking spray


Pre-heat oven to 400* F. Lightly spray salmon with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.


Peel garlic and grate into bowl with microplane. Comine the remaining 6 ingrediants in the bowl with the garlic and mix until blended. 



Spread evenly over salmon.


Heat cooking spray in a pan and sear salmon skin-side down, about 3 minutes. Place in oven and cook through, about 5 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment